Lower Fox Creek SchoolAdd to Cart Add to Lightbox Download
Lower Fox Creek School is a one-room schoolhouse located in the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve. The building had been completed in 1882 with the first school semester beginning on September 1, 1884. Average enrollment was between 1-19 students that included all grades. The school was closed in 1930. In 1968 the Garden Clubs in the Mid-East District of Kansas renovated the building. The school is on the National Register of Historic Places. The pictured tree is a cottonwood, the state tree of Kansas. Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve is the only unit of the National Park Service dedicated to the preservation of the tallgrass prairie ecosystem. The Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve is co-managed with The Nature Conservancy. The 10,894-acre preserve is located in the Flint Hills of Kansas in Chase County near the towns of Strong City and Cottonwood Falls.
- © 2011 John L. Dengler
- Image Size
- 5100x3394 / 16.0MB
America Chase County Department of the Interior Flint Hills Flint Hills National Scenic Byway Fox Creek Highway 177 Hwy 177 K-177 Kansas Kansas Highway 177 Kansas State Highway 177 Lower Fox Creek School Lower Fox Creek School House Lower Fox Creek Schoolhouse NPS National Park Service North America Spring Spring Hill Farm and Stock Ranch TAPR Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve The Nature Conservancy U.S. US USA United States United States of America Z Bar Ranch grassland historic historical history horizontal landscapes nature outdoors prairie protected land scenery scenic springtime tallgrass tallgrass prairie travel travel destination
- Contained in galleries
- Flint Hills prairie - Kansas